Action Plan PDF Archive
Before you can choose a major or career path, it is important to know who you are and what is important to you. Use these Action Guides to increase your understanding of your strengths, interests, values, skills, and identity, and reflect on how this information relates to your choice of major.
- SA1 StrengthsQuest Assessment: Word (996KB DOCX) | PDF (217KB PDF)
- 34 Strengths Quick Reference (665KB PDF)
- SA2 Identifying Skills: Word (67KB DOCX) | PDF (218KB PDF)
- SA3 Strong Interest Inventory Assessment: Word (1017KB DOCX) | PDF (526KB PDF)
- SA4 Identifying Values: Word (1002KB DOCX) | PDF (526KB PDF)
- SA5 Family, Culture and Identity Influences: Word (1.02MB DOCX) | PDF (253KB PDF)
- SA6 This I Believe: Affirm Your Values: Word (1.02MB DOCX) | PDF (253KB PDF)
Using Your Strengths
There is a lot of information to consider when choosing a major! The Majors Action Guides will help you explore all of the options for majors at the U of M, understand different requirements for majors to plan for graduation, and evaluate your competitiveness for high demand majors.
- M1 U of M Majors: Word (839 KB DOCX) | PDF (363 KB PDF)
- M2 Major Networking Guide: Word (840 KB DOCX) | PDF (216 KB PDF)
- M3 Graduation Planner: Word (839 KB DOCX) | PDF (238 KB PDF)
- M4 What If APAS: Word (840 KB DOCX) | PDF (217 KB PDF)
- M5 Explore Grad Professional School: Word (848 KB DOCX) | PDF (242 KB PDF)
- M6 High Demand Majors Guide: Word (846 KB DOCX) | PDF (234 KB PDF)
What are you planning to do after graduation? It is important to think about potential career paths, but also remember that your major is not the sole determining factor of what career you can pursue. The Careers Action Guides will help you increase your understanding of different career fields, learn about occupational titles and job functions, gain confidence in setting up informational interviews, and think about how your major and career are connected.
- C1 Discover Career Services Word (864 KB DOCX) | PDF (231 KB PDF)
- C2 Explore Careers on GoldPASS Word (850KB DOCX) | PDF (198 KB PDF)
- C3 Informational Interviews Word (854 KB DOCX) | PDF (207 KB PDF)
- C4 Explore Career Websites Word (852 KB DOCX) | PDF (274 KB PDF)
- C5 What can I do with a major in… Word (860 KB DOCX) | PDF (211 KB PDF)
- C6 LinkedIn Word (860 KB DOCX) | PDF (211 KB PDF)
How have you made decisions in the past? What motivates you? Awareness of the motivational style that drives the way you make decisions can help you be intentional when deciding on a major. Use these Action Guides to increase your decision-making skills, as well as learn how to develop goals that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely (SMART).
- DM1 Decision Making Style: Word (878KB DOCX) | PDF (217KB)
- DM2 Comparing Majors: Word (882KB DOCX) | PDF (170KB)
- DM3 Develop SMART Goals: Word (884KB DOCX) | PDF (398KB)
- DM4 Motivation Style: Word (880KB DOCX) | PDF (200KB) | Worksheet (24KB PDF)
Your time spent outside of the classroom can also be used to help you explore majors and careers. Use these Action Guides to explore the many ways to get engaged on and around campus through leadership, student groups, volunteering, internships, undergraduate research, and learning abroad.
- E2 Leadership Opportunities: Word (860KB DOCX) | PDF (214KB PDF)
- E3 Volunteer and Service Learning: Word (858KB DOCX) | PDF (219KB PDF)
- E4 Off-Campus Study: Word (857KB DOCX) | PDF (218KB PDF)
- E5 Undergraduate Research: Word (865KB DOCX) | PDF (226KB PDF)
- E6 Internships and Co-ops: Word (858KB DOCX) | PDF (222KB PDF)
- E6 Handout Instructions for GoldPASS: Word (22KB DOCX) | PDF (135KB PDF)
Maintaining balance and a healthy lifestyle is an important part of college life. When we ignore our wellness, it can make it more difficult to make decisions. The Wellness Action Guides can help you evaluate your overall wellness, encompassing physical, mental, financial, and academic areas.
- W1 Intro to Wellbeing: Word (1006KB DOCX) | PDF (260KB PDF)
- W2 Academic Wellbeing: Word (937KB DOCX) | PDF (240KB PDF)
- W3 Financial Wellbeing: Word (937KB DOCX) | PDF (238KB PDF)
- W4 Physical Wellbeing: Word (940KB DOCX) | PDF (234KB PDF)
- W5 Purpose Wellbeing: Word (935KB DOCX) | PDF (209KB PDF)
- W6 Social Wellbeing: Word (936KB DOCX) | PDF (203KB PDF)